A Land Information Memorandum (LIM) is a document prepared by the Council to help with the information searching associated with buying or selling property. A buyer will gain additional information, which might help their decision making process; a seller might benefit by being better equipped to answer questions from potential buyers.

Many lending institutes require a LIM before securing funding as the information may help them make their decision.

The Invercargill City Council has recently won an award from the Association of Local Government Information Managements for its LIM process.


A LIM contains:

A LIM does NOT include:

Information on rates including rateable valuation and amount of rates.A site inspection done by Council.
Zoning of land.Any building permit or consent plans.
Any special feature of the land including potential erosion, falling debris, sinking, slipping landfill, flooding or likely hazardous pollutants that the Council knows about.Information in relation to State Highways.
Information on building permits
and building consents.
Any decisions on adjacent property.
Resource Consent information.Non-notified resource consent application in process on the subject site.
Any notices or requisitions
affecting the land or buildings eg health.
The Council does not hold any information concerning electricity and gas and telephone connections. Contact the relevant utility companies.
Drainage information.Plans for and activities on any Parks and Reserves in the vicinity of the property: contact Parks staff by phone (03) 219 9070 or email
Certificates issued by building certifiers.
Information about Historic Places.
Information about 3 Waters – water supply, public and private stormwater drains and sewers.
Information on known swimming pools.
Any other information which the Council considers necessary.

Use the following link to order a LIM.  Allow up to 10 working days for your application to be processed. If you require this in five days or under then indicate this on your application: a higher fee will apply.

NOTE: The appropriate fee must accompany your completed application before it can be processed. If you  post your application we recommend that you send a cheque payable to the Invercargill City Council. Otherwise you can pay by cash or Eftpos at the Council’s Invercargill or Bluff offices once the invoice has been generated.