Substandard housing

Complaints about property believed to be insanitary, dangerous or earthquake-prone and are generally followed-up by staff from the Environmental Health or Building departments.

We suggest wherever possible that you discuss the problem with your neighbour and/or the property owner.


  • Policy on Earthquake Prone Buildings 
  • Policy on Dangerous Buildings
    (Is likely to cause injury or death – by collapse or otherwise – ) to any persons in it or to persons on other property or damage to any other property.)
  • Policy on Insanitary Buildings 
    (Is so situated or of such construction or in such a state of disrepair as to be offensive or likely to be injurious to health; or its provisions against moisture penetration are so insufficient or in such a defective condition as to cause dampness in the building or in any adjoining building; or it is without a supply of potable water adequate for its intended use; or it has inadequate sanitary facilities for its intended use).

Rental Properties

While the Council might assist with complaints about dangerous or insanitary dwellings it does not assist in disputes over minor damage including broken windows or locks, rotten carpet, old appliances, lease agreements or rental prices etc. Should you have any such concerns or complaints you should contact your landlord and/or the Tenancy Services in the first instance.

The Residential Tenancies Act 1986 states that it is a landlord’s responsibility to provide their premises in a reasonable state of cleanliness and to maintain it in a reasonable state of repair, but it also places some responsibility on tenants. Tenants are to keep the premises reasonably clean and tidy and to notify the landlord as soon as possible of any damage or need for any repairs.

Tenants should familiarise themselves with their rights and obligations under the Residential Tenancies Act and be aware of the Tenancy Services role in landlord/tenant relationships and disputes.

  • For more information visit the Tenancy Services (Department of Building and Housing) website.