The next triennial Local Body Elections will be held in 2022
There will be a Representation Review for Invercargill City in 2021 conducted under the Local Electoral Act 2001. This will determine what the elections will be for in 2022.
Voting System for 2022
Council has resolved at the Performance, Policy and Partnership Committee meeting on 11 August 2020 to retain First Past The Post (FPP) as its electoral system for the 2022 triennial elections.
Section 29 of the Local Electoral Act 2001, gives the electors Council the right to demand a poll to change this resolution and instead use the Single Transferable Voting (STV) electoral system for the 2022 elections.
A valid demand for a poll must be:
- Made in writing.
- Signed by at least 5 percent of eligible electors of the Invercargill City Council. This will require a minimum of 1,923 valid elector signatures.
- Delivered to the office of the Invercargill City Council, 101 Esk Street, Invercargill, by 5pm Monday, 22 February 2021.
Every elector who signs a demand must also set out in it his or her full name and the address for which he, she or they are qualified as an elector of the Invercargill City Council.
For further information, please contact Michael Morris, Deputy Electoral Officer, phone (03) 211 1777.
Local Body Elections 2019
The most recent elections were held in 2019.
The 2019 Elections were for:
Invercargill City Council
- 1 Mayor
- 12 councillors elected at large
- 5 members to represent the Bluff Community Board
- 6 councillors to represent the Invercargill-Rakiura Constituency of the Southland Regional Council
- 3 members to represent the Southland Constituency of the Southern District Health Board
- 6 members to represent the Invercargill Licensing Trust
Electoral Officer Contact Details
The Electoral Officer is responsible for the conduct of the Election and remains in office until an appointment is made prior to the 2022 elections. They will be responsible for running any By-elections and Polls that may be required.
Ph: 0800 300 048 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Deputy Electoral Officer
Ph: 03 211 8396 or email Michael.Morris@icc.govt.nz