2021 By-Election

With the resignation of Cr Toni Biddle from Council there is now an extra-ordinary vacancy at the Council table – now is an amazing time to step up and help make a difference to our Community.

Key dates

Nominations open 24 November 2020

Nominations close 12pm 22 December 2020

26 January- Voting and Special Voting opens

17 February- Election day- the Poll closes at 12pm.

Invercargill City Council (as a Councillor)

(1 Councillor required)

  • The candidate must be a New Zealand citizen.
  • The candidate must be a parliamentary elector whose name appears on a Parliamentary Electoral Roll (anywhere in New Zealand).
  • A candidate may not have concerns or interest in contracts over $25,000 with the Invercargill City Council, unless the Audit Office has granted a waiver.
  • An employee of a local authority elected must resign from his/her position as an employee before taking office.
  • Those who nominate candidates must be electors of the Invercargill City Electoral Roll.

Please complete this Nomination Form

Return to it Invercargill City Council at our Main office 101 Esk Street or the Bluff Service Centre. You can also email it to Michael.Morris@icc.govt.nz


Wade Devine

Tom Downey

Simon Edwards

Bernadine Goldsmith

Carl Heenan

Wayne Harpur

Marcus Lush

Kevin Mulrooney

David Pottinger

Candidate Profile Statements

Click here to view the candidate profile statements and photos

Election protocols

Election protocols for ICC officers – PDF

The by-election will be held on 17 February 2021. The period leading up to an election is a time of increased interest and attention on Invercargill City Council officers, particularly in their dealings with current elected members, candidates, and the general public.

These protocols provide guidance for ICC officers, including contractors and consultants, in relation to:

  • interacting and communicating with current elected members, candidates and the public in the pre-election period;
  • participating in political activity (including standing for office) during a local government election;
  • balancing personal and professional interests in a politically neutral way.

For further guidance or for clarification of these guidelines, please contact the Deputy Electoral Officer, Michael Morris, 211 8396 or michael.morris@icc.govt.nz

The Invercargill City District Plan has a number of rules that apply to signs throughout the City district and as such we have applied for and had granted a Resource Consent for all Parties to put up hoardings and other election signs.

Resource Consent – Election Signs / Hoardings

Resource consent for election signs

Important Information

Signs/ Election Hoardings can be erected from 23 December 2020.

You must have the approval of the owner / occupier of the property to do so and be able to present this if requested.

You cannot place signs on Invercargill City Council controlled land, including all parks and reserves.

All signs must be removed the day by 19 February- two days after the election.

Signs can not be placed within 9 Meters of an intersection – this diagram shows our Roading team’s interpretation of this.

If you wish to use Trailer Signage you will also need to complete this permit from our Roading team.

Please send your completed form to corridormanager@icc.govt.nz

You must comply with all conditions listed in the Trailer permit.

Your party must also comply with all other rules relating to Election signs.

Election Signs Complaints:

If you have a complaint about where a sign is located please contact Jeremy Bond: compliance@icc.govt.nz, 03 211 1614.

If you have a complaint about the content of a sign or any other issues then you will need to contact

Michael Morris, Deputy Electoral Officer, Invercargill City Council.

Email: Michael.Morris@icc.govt.nz Phone: 03 2111 777

Enrolling to vote

Invercargill City Council uses the postal voting method to elect its members.

If you are enrolled to vote, you will receive a voting document and candidate information booklet in the post, and a Freepost return envelope. Voting documents are sent out to all eligible voters three weeks before Election Day 17 February 2021. You need to complete and return your papers to the Electoral Officer by no later than 12 noon on Election Day 17 February 2021.

The Invercargill City Council use the First Past the Post system.

Voting from outside Invercargill

Do you own property in the Invercargill City district but do not live there? you can still vote in the by-election.

Please complete this form and return it as provided on the form.

If you did this in 2019 you will already be added to the list and can vote.

Special voting
You can apply for a special vote during the voting period if one of these situations applies:

  • Your name does not appear on the final electoral roll, but you qualify as an elector
  • You did not receive a voting document
  • You spoiled or damaged a voting document previously posted to you
  • Your name appears on the unpublished electoral roll

You can apply for a special vote by:

  • contacting the Deputy Electoral Officer, or officials.
  • calling into the Invercargill City Council or Bluff Service Centre offices during the voting period before Election Day.

When completing a special vote, you will also need to fill in a statutory declaration. This is a legal requirement and protects against possible duplicate voting.