Invercargill City Council uses the postal voting method to elect its members.

If you are enrolled to vote, you will receive a voting document and candidate information booklet in the post, and a Freepost return envelope. Voting documents are sent out to all eligible voters three weeks before Election Day. You need to complete and return your papers to the Electoral Officer by no later than 12 noon on Election Day (the day on which the voting period for an election or poll ends).

The Invercargill City Council, Southland Regional Council (Environment Southland) and Invercargill  Licensing Trust use the First Past the Post system (FPP).

Special voting
You can apply for a special vote during the three week voting period if one of these situations applies:

  • Your name does not appear on the final electoral roll, but you qualify as an elector
  • You did not receive a voting document
  • You spoiled or damaged a voting document previously posted to you
  • Your name appears on the unpublished electoral roll

You can apply for a special vote by:

  • contacting the Council Electoral Officer, or
  • calling into the Invercargill City Council or Bluff Service Centre offices during the three-week period before Election Day.

When completing a special vote, you will also need to fill in a statutory declaration. This is a legal requirement and protects against possible duplicate voting.

What you can vote for

Successful candidates are elected for a term of three years. In 2016 elections will be held for:

  • Mayor of Invercargill
  • Invercargill City Council : 12 Councillors to be elected
  • Southland Regional Council (Environment Southland): 6 Councillors to be elected for the Invercargill-Rakiura Constituency

Depending on where you live, you may also vote for:

  • Bluff Community Board: 5 Board Members to be elected
  • Invercargill Licensing Trust:  6 Board Members to be elected
  • Southern District Health Board: To be advised

Enrolling to vote

You need to be enrolled on either the residential roll OR on the ratepayer electoral roll (people who do not live in Invercargill but own property).

Visit Page

Standing as a candidate

If you are interested in standing as a local authority , there are restrictions on the positions you can stand for.

Visit Page

Candidate Preparation Videos

Standing for local government | What do you need to be an elected member? | How councils work | Nomination requirements | Your first days as an elected member Thinking about standing for local government? Deciding to play a significant role in your local community by running for local government is a big decision. The […]

Visit Page

Election protocols

Election protocols for elected members – PDF Election protocols for ICC officers – PDF Local government elections are held every three years. In 2019, the elections will be held on Saturday 12 October. The period leading up to an election is a time of increased interest and attention on Invercargill City Council officers, particularly in […]

Visit Page