Registering a food business

From 1 March 2016 the Food Act 2014 requires that all new food businesses register on a Food Control Plan or under a National Programme, depending on the type food safety risk of the actvities the businesses do.

Businesses involved in higher-risk activities (such as preparing meals) will be regulated differently to those that are seen as lower-risk (such as businesses that sell pre-packaged food or grow vegetables).

Depending on the type of business the Act requires that all food businesses register under one of the three risk-based measurement options available at the Ministry of Primary Industries (MPI) links below.

Food Control Plan

A Food Control Plan is a step-by-step guide on food safety procedures that can be tailored to suit the needs of your business. The template includes pre-printed records, forms and a diary.
The official Food Control Plan (Source: MPI)

Food Act videos
The MPI runs regional Food Act workshops to help businesses understand what they need to do under the Act.  Watch short videos from the presentations on these topics: what has changed, what are risk-based levels, where does your business fit, how do you register, and what is verification.

Custom-made Food Control Plan

Business type under this category, must register their business with MPI.
Custom food control plan information (Source: MPI)

National Programmes

Working with a national programme is the way that lower-risk food businesses operate under the Food Act 2014. Click the headline link above to find out how to set up and register your business under a national programme.
National programmes information. Source: Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI).

Where does your business fit?

MPI has developed a tool to help business operators understand the changes and rules that apply. The Act rules mean you must have documented evidence such as training records, temperature monitoring and cleaning in the form of a Food Control Plan, which is verified on a regular basis.
The Where Do I Fit? tool

Registration forms

Fees and charges

Environmental Health fees and charges

Changes to your Licence Information

Notify any changes in the licence information to the Environmental Health team. This includes change of ownership, change of address, change to the nature of the business or to processes in the Scope of Operations.

Contacts and related links