Registering and changes to your business

On this page

  • Registering your business
  • How to register
  • Transfer Ownership of an existing premises
  • Licence expired
  • Inspections
  • Fees and charges
  • Help


As a business operator, it is your obligation to meet all the legislative requirements, so you need to ensure you have read and understood your responsibilities under the relevant legislation. If you have any concerns, the Council can help in ensuring you are in the right track.

Check and email with the required team:

If you want to open or take over one of the businesses that was mentioned above, you should contact us for the business to be registered under your name or company and inspected. 


How to register your business online?

Register online by going to and logging in. You must first register an account (of yourself or your company, depending on the name shown in the licence) and get your account verified before applying online (which should take less than five working days). If you have any issues with your account or registration, please email

  1. When you have logged in, click ‘Licensing’ then ‘New Licence’.
  2. Select the type of registration or licence you require, then click ‘Next’.
  3. This should now lead you to the application form of the type of business.
  4. Ensure you have fill out everything that is applicable and submit your application.
  5. After you have submitted your application, an email and/or invoice will be sent to you.
  6. Once paid or visited by an Environmental Health Officer (EHO), you are officially registered and a licence will be generated for you to display in a prominent area.

For mobile trader, please fill out this form and send it to

As a business operator, it is your obligation to meet all the legislative requirements, so you need to ensure you have read and understood your responsibilities under the relevant legislations. If you have any concerns, refer to the type of business below or contact as at the provided email above.

An Environmental Health Officers will either contact you or visit the premises once you have paid the invoice, to make sure that you meet the legislative requirements (either under the Food Act 2014, Health Act 1956 and bylaws mentioned above).

Failure to register or/and comply could result to fines, additional fees or prosecution.


Changes to your business

You must notify the Environmental Health team about any changes in your business to ensure compliance with the legislations. This includes change of ownership, change of address, change of contact details, and change to the nature of the business or to processes in the Scope of Operations.


Transfer ownership of an existing premises

If you take over an existing business or premises (ones that needs a health or food licence), you must contact our Environmental Health team and reregister the premises under your name or company.


My licence is about to expire, what do I do?

When your registration certificate (licence) is about to expire (around the end of August each year), a reminder will be send to you to renew your licence. It’s really important that you have a current registration certificate at all times, since it could result with a late fee may be charged or a cancellation of your licence, so contact us if you have not received a renewal letter from us yet by August.



An Environmental Health Officer will inspect any premises with health licences and sites that causes nuisance. They also work as a verifier to verify food businesses and alcohol inspectors to ensure compliance with any relevant Acts, Regulations, Standards or/and Bylaws.

All premises must generally comply by having the minimum recommended condition, such as:

  • having the appropriate surfaces which are easily cleanable and impervious to water,
  • have appropriate provisions (including hot and cold water, have a sink for handwashing, lighting and ventilation),
  • have appropriate procedures and practices (by having a cleaning and maintenance schedule or procedure),
  • in clean and well maintained condition,
  • and is not causing any nuisance (including fumes, pests, noise and rubbish).

Premises and individuals registered under Health legislation and Bylaws are generally inspected every year.

Additional inspections may be undertaken, if we receive a complaint or if the premises and procedures are in unacceptable condition which may be charged.


Licence and Certificates

All licence issued must always be displayed in a prominent area of the premises for the public to see.


Fees and Charges

Refer to Environmental Health on the Fees and Charges page.


Need help?

If you have any question, issue or concern, please do not hesitate to ask us.  You can contact our Environmental Health team to assist you at any stage with further advice or information about operating a food business at:


Phone: 03 2111 777