Working on Working Together
Invercargill City Council adopted an Action Plan in late 2020 to address governance concerns initially raised in a letter from the Department of Internal Affairs and later outlined in a report by Richard Thomson into governance matters at the council.
The independent “Thomson Report” includes an overview of the key themes affecting governance at the Council and sets out a range of recommendations to make improvements for the future. The Action Plan captures all of the recommendations and sets a clear path to address the issues raised.
The Action Plan focuses on three key areas:
- Addressing the foundations through the appointment of two External Appointees to Council and developing a clear set of delegations for the Deputy Mayor
- Strengthening the team through a review of strategic projects, mentoring support, training for elected members and the development of media protocols
- Measuring progress through workshops and annual evaluations to make sure the council stays on track.
Jeff has strong governance and director experience across a range of roles with a focus on primary industries. A former Chairman of AgResearch, Jeff was appointed in 2018 by Beef + Lamb NZ and the Meat Industry Association to manage the sector’s response to Brexit and has held a range of chair or director roles across the agriculture and primary industries. For eight years until 2018, Jeff was the Independent Chair of Southland Shared Services.
Lindsay is an experienced executive and director with a history of working in the public and more recently the private sector. Lindsay is a former Chief Executive of Environment Southland, Gisborne District Council and Tasman District Council. Skilled in Non-profit Organisations, Government, Environment, Health and Safety, Corporate Governance, and Strategic Planning. Strong professional with a natural resource science background and Post Grad. Cert. in Business/Commerce, General from Monash University, Melbourne.
- Final letter from DIA
- Thomson Report – Six Month Review
- Thomson Report
- Response to DIA
- Action Plan
- Letter from DIA
- Working on Working Together Legacy Report – 10 May 2022 [PDF]
- ICC Governance Report – Final Report 30 July 2021
- 25 May 2021 Working on Working Together Update from the PGG (page 58)
- 27 April 2021 Working on Working Together Update from the PGG (page 122)
- 23 March 2021 Working on Working Together Update from the PGG (page 27)
- 23 February 2021 Working on Working Together Update from the PGG (page 24)
- 15 December 2021 Governance Review Report Implementation Plan (page 27)