Who can apply?
Any property in private ownership that is entered on the New Zealand Heritage List (Category 1 and 2) is eligible. While all eligible projects will be considered, the priorities for funding within the current found round are:
- Conservation of sites of significance to Maori
- Conservation and preservation of sites that support regional economic development
What types of projects are eligible for funding?
- Stabilisation, repair or restoration relating to historic buildings or structures (eg. repairs to masonry, joinery, plaster or glazing, earthquake strengthening or fire protection);
- Conservation work relating to land or archaeological sites (eg. site stabilization, repair, vegetation management or fencing);
- Professional services (eg. research, condition reports, conservation plans, conservation work specifications, management plans or supervision of work).
What types of projects are NOT eligible?
- Construction of new buildings or structures not for the purpose of preserving heritage values;
- Additions, extensions, facilities or amenities of existing buildings;
- Reconstruction or replicas of missing buildings or structures;
- Removal, relocation or demolition of buildings or structures;
- Insurance, debt repayments or re-financing costs;
- Purchase of land or buildings;
- Purchase or conservation of portable heritage objects;
- Purchase of construction machinery or tradespersons’ equipment;
- Heritage conservation projects that have already been completed;
- Work that has already received crown funding.
The fund will pay no more than 50% of the cost of conservation work in any particular case, and individual grants will not normally be greater than $100,000. Assistance is in the forms of grants.
How and when to apply
Application instructions and a downloadable form can be found HERE.
Applications are typically accepted in May and June. Refer to their website for this year’s dates.
If you have any questions please contact the Otago/Southland Regional Office of Heritage New Zealand in Dunedin at email@example.com or 03 477 9871.