Trees and vegetation

The Council is responsible for maintaining the vegetation on Council-owned land and in public places, including Invercargill’s roads and roadside vegetation. It is also responsible for vegetation in the district’s parks and reserves.

Property owners are responsible for the upkeep of their own property, which includes land and dwellings. The Property Law Amendment Act 1975 states that property owners are responsible for any nuisance or damage that their vegetation causes to neighbouring properties.

The Council receives many calls about vegetation, in particular trees which overhang property boundaries. We have prepared information to inform property owners about their rights and responsibilities.

We suggest that you talk openly to your neighbours and/or other parties involved: it is  often the best way to resolve issues relating to property and boundary vegetation.


Contact us
If you believe there is is a health and safety issue contact the Council’s Environmental Health Division. For neighbour disputes and legal advice contact your lawyer or the Southland Community Law Centre at (03) 214  3180 .