The Council has social, economic, health, environmental and legislative waste management obligations and provides several services for the appropriate disposal of solid waste:
- HOUSEHOLD BINS: Urban properties in Invercargill and Bluff are provided with a kerbside collection service for recycling and rubbish. The yellow recycling bin is emptied fortnightly and the red rubbish bin is emptied weekly. Check YOUR bin dates at the Wastenet website.
- CBD RUBBISH COLLECTION: Invercargill’s CBD is provided with a 3-times weekly kerbside rubbish collection service.
- THE GARAGE REUSE SHOP: If you are looking for pre-loved goods or have pre-loved goods to give away take them to the Garage.
- INVERCARGILL and BLUFF TRANSFER STATIONS: For the disposal of rubbish, hazardous waste, green waste and tyres.
- FREE RECYCLE CENTRE Check out Southland disAbilty Enterprises drive-through recycle centre on Mersey Street. The opening hours are the same as the transfer station 8am – 530pm Monday to Saturday and 9am to 530pm Sunday.
- EDUCATION: Explore the wide range of waste-specific teaching resources available on the WasteNet Southland website: www.wastenet.org.nz
Invercargill and Bluff Transfer Stations
- Fees and charges
- To apply to be an Account Holder at the Invercargill Transfer Station please email the Senior Waste Officer.
- Hazardous materials are disposed of by the Council and any donated items that can be recycled are sold at the privately-owned The Garage Recyling Shop. It is important to note that soil is not allowed in the green waste dumping area, and should be dumped with the general waste.
Invercargill Transfer Station Hours
Bond Street, Invercargill. Phone (03) 218 7938
Open every day except Christmas Day, New Year’s Day and Good Friday. ANZAC Day – Open from 1pm
1 April to 30 September (Winter Hours)
- Monday to Saturday: 8am–5:30pm
- Sunday: 9am–5.30pm
1 October to 31 March (Summer Hours)
- Monday to Saturday: 8am–6pm
- Sunday: 9am–6pm.
Bluff Transfer Station Hours
Suir Street, Bluff. Phone (03) 218 7938
- Monday / Wednesday / Friday: 2pm–4pm
- Saturday: 11am–2pm
- Sunday: 10am–12.30pm
Closed public holidays.
Waste Management plans
The Council has developed a waste management plan which details how it plans to manage both Invercargill’s and the region’s waste: Waste Management Activity Plan 2008. The local councils (Environment Southland, Gore District Council, Invercargill City Council and Southland District Council) have agreed to work co-oporatively on waste management for the mutual benefit of all ratepayers: Southland Waste Management Plan.
WasteNet Southland is a joint initiative of the Invercargill City Council, Southland District Council and Gore District Council. WasteNet provides co-ordinated delivery of solid waste and recycling services within Southland. For more information on waste services in Southland visit www.wastenet.org.nz
What can you reduce, reuse, recycle or bin?
Check the The Orange Pages for information about how best to dispose of different types of materials – batteries, paint, books, shrink-wrap, concrete, gas cylinders, car bodies, fridges etc. The Orange Pages section lists aterials and then advises what local reuse, recycling and disposal options are available for each and gives contact/location details.