Noise control

Residents should expect some degree of noise in their neighbourhood from time to time, such as music, DIY work, social gatherings and lawn mowing.  While these temporary noises can be a nuisance, they are to be expected.

If you are experiencing excessive or unreasonable noise from a neighbour, the best start is to talk to them first.  Try to come to an agreement with your neighbour as to the timing of any work they are doing or the sound level and times music is played.

If your attempt to resolve the issue with your neighbour has not worked, phone (03) 211 1679 and our Armourguard contractor will attend loud music and noisy party complaints (available 24 hours).

Your name and contact details will be asked for so that the noise control officer can discuss your complaint with you. Your details will be kept confidential.

Business and industrial related complaints will be dealt with by Council staff.

Under the Resource Management Act 1991, councils have the authority to take action where the noise is excessive or unreasonable.

Actions taken by a noise control officer may proceed as follows:

  • Investigation of the noise and if found to be excessive or unreasonable, the occupier will be asked to reduce the level or stop the noise.
  • An Excessive Noise Direction may be served on the occupant requiring the noise to be reduced to an acceptable level or stopped.
  • A second Excessive Noise Direction served within 72 hours of the first direction being served will result in the seizure of the offending equipment and a $500 fine under Section 327 of the Resource Management Act 1991. A fee of $65 will be charged to recover seized equipment.
  • If three noise complaints area made within six months that result in an Excessive Noise Direction being served each time, an Abatement Notice under Section 322(1) of the Resource Management Act 1991 will be issued. This means that the property must not receive Excessive Noise Directions. Breach of the Abatement Notice will result in instant seizure of the offending equipment and a fine of $750.
  • Continuation of the offence after the Abatement Notice will result in the matter being taken to the District Court for prosecution.

Noise complaints made against you

Follow the directions and advice given to you by the noise control officer.

If you have had your equipment seized, you may contact the Council and request that the equipment be returned, this will be at the discretion of the Council. Costs incurred in removing and storing the equipment are payable on return of the item. Suitable proof of identify is required as the equipment will only be returned to the owner.