A temporary alcohol ban will be in force in parts of Racecourse Road and Yarrow Street for the Christmas at the Races event on Saturday, 12 December 2015.
The ban under Invercargill City Council Bylaw 2008/1 applies from 10am to 8pm to both sides of Racecourse Road from the intersection of St Andrews Street to the Ascot Park Hotel entrance, and on Yarrow Street between Racecourse Road and Derwent Street.
In the ban area and during the ban hours police powers have powers to:
- Arrest without a warrant a person contravening the Bylaw.
- Arrest without a warrant a person who refuses to leave the public place after requested to do so.
- Arrest without a warrant a person who refuses to surrender alcohol that is in their possession in breach of the Bylaw.
- Search without a warrant a vehicle in, entering or about to enter the public place subject to the Bylaw for the purpose of ascertaining whether or not the vehicle contains alcohol.
- Search a container in the possession of any person in, entering or about to enter the public place, subject to the Bylaw, for the purpose of ascertaining whether or not the container contains alcohol.
- Seize and remove alcohol and its container if the alcohol is in the public place in breach of the Bylaw.