To mark the start of a simmering summer and the launch of our new Love Waihōpai email newsletter, we want to know and SEE what you love about our city.
We’re looking for a budding or pro photographer with an eye for capturing the special and spectacular faces, places and spaces that we all have pride in across Invercargill and Bluff.
All you have to do is get a camera (or even your phone), explore our district, or visit your favourite spot, then snap a winning shot to share why you Love Waihōpai – Invercargill – Bluff!
We have three categories you can enter in:
Colour and Light
Think… summer sunsets, dark and starry skies, bright city lights and colourful family fun.
Think… our iconic, unique, recognisable places, spaces, landscapes, buildings and backdrops.
Think… the faces of our people, culture, groups, events, and even pets.
Judges will select the best images in each category to win a $200 Invercargill Central voucher and a framed copy of their photograph.
📷 BONUS category
We have some spot prizes up for grabs for those who share their photos on social media channels using the hashtag #LoveWaihopai or #LoveBluff and tagging @InvercargillCityCouncil (you don’t need to officially upload a photo to be eligible for the bonus prizes).
How to enter
- Submit your entries, along with your details, using the entry form below. Please note you can only submit a maximum of three pictures per category.
- Photos must be taken within the Invercargill and Bluff district boundary.
- Please upload a jpg copy of your photo that is under 10MB in size. If you are a finalist, we will contact you for a high-resolution version of the image.
- All final photos need to be high resolution so a cell phone can be used but we would encourage a digital camera. The winning photos may be used in print material, so files need to be over 4Mb in size.
- Entries are open from Friday 24 November 2023 and close at 5pm Thursday 29 February 2024.
The Grrreat Invercargill Photo Competition entry form
Judging and prizes
- Each category will be judged by a panel, who will select five finalists for each category, and a category winner, based on creativity and relevance to theme.
- All finalist images will be shared on the Invercargill City Council Facebook page where people will have the chance to vote for the People’s Choice winner.
- Each category winner will win a $200 Invercargill Central voucher and a framed copy of their photograph.
- The People’s Choice winner will win a $100 Invercargill Central voucher.
- Judging will take place during March 2024 and winners will be announced in April 2024. The judges’ decision will be final.